Spinach Pies (Fatayer Sabanekh)
- 3 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup olive or canola oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg (optional)
- 2 lb fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice, adjust to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Summac, adjust to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¾ cup raisins (optional)
Variation: Spinach can be replaced by purslane.
- Place the thoroughly washed and chopped spinach in a strainer or colander.
Add 2 tsp. salt and squeeze out excess liquid from the spinach and place in a
- Combine the spinach with the remaining filling ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add oil and begin to knead dough.
- Once oil is absorbed, add warm water. Knead into an elastic dough.
- With a rolling pin, roll dough on a floured surface as thin as possible (5mm thick) and cut out 2" circles.
- Place 1 tbsp. of filling in the center of each dough circle and shape into a triangle.
- Place the pies on greased baking sheets and bake in a preheated oven 425F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or warm.
The following pictures show two ways of shaping the pies into triangles.