(Makes enough dough for five 10 inch pizzas)
- 5 cups flour, sifted
- 2 cups warm water (110 F)
- 2 1/2 tsp. dry active yeast
- Pinch of salt
(Makes 2 cups of sauce)
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with its juice
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pizza Seasoning, to taste (Oregano, Basil, Marjoram)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix half the sifted flour with the yeast, add all the water and continue mixing. Cover and let proof for about 1 hour.
- Gradually add the remaining flour and mix well. Knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour if needed. Cover and leave to proof for 2 - 3 hours.
- Punch the dough down so it deflates a bit. Divide the dough into 5 portions.
Cover with plastic and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Working one ball of dough at a time, take one ball of dough and flatten it with
your hands on a slightly floured work surface. Starting at the center and
working outwards, use your fingertips to press the dough to 1/2-inch thick. Turn
and stretch the dough until it will not stretch further. Let the dough rest 5
minutes and then continue to stretch it until it reaches the desired diameter;
- Spoon some sauce on the pizza dough, sprinkle with cheese and add toppings of
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place a wide oven proof dish full of water
at the bottom of the oven to create steam which will give better results.
- Bake pizza for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil, stir in the chopped garlic and saute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir fry for a minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, seasoning and water.
- Cook uncovered until sauce thickens.
- Let cool before using.