Pita Bread without an oven
I have tried so many different Pita bread recipes and this one is my favorite. It is very easy to make, freezes well and this dough can also be used to make the best Manakish!
- 3 cups all purpose flour (*)
- 1.25 cups warm water
- 1 tsp active dry
- 1 tsp. Salt, adjust to taste
Optional additions (**)
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
(*) Note: You can also mix white and whole wheat flour or even use whole wheat flour on its own.
(**) Adding the flaxseeds and wheat germ will not change the recipe. I just add them to give the recipe more nutritional value.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Add the water gradually and knead until you get a smooth non sticky dough.
- Cover the dough and let it proof for at least half an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Divide the dough into balls of desired size.
- On a floured surface, roll them (approx. half the final size) into round or oval shape. Let them rest covered while you roll a few more loaves then roll them again to the desired size.
- Heat a skillet and cook them for approximately 20 seconds, just as it starts to form tiny bubbles flip it on the other side and allow it to puff and slightly brown then flip them again until it is completely puffed. The pitas will puff on their own but if they don't, you can help it puff by pressing slightly.
- This Pita freezes well, cover the cooked pitas with a clean towel until cool, then place them in a freezer bag and freeze them.