- 3 cups fine semolina
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp. yeast
- 1 tsp. ground mahlab
- 6 pieces mastic, ground in ½ tsp. sugar (optional)
- 6 tbsp. orange blossom water
For the filling
- 2 packages (13 oz each) baking dates
- Spices (such as cinnamon or nutmeg) (optional)
- 2 tbsp. orange blossom water (optional)
Note: This maamoul recipe can be filled with dates, walnuts, pistachios or cream (Kishta).
You can either flatten the dough and dates between two sheets of plastic wrap,
wax or parchment paper. Another way is to flatten smaller pieces of dough
by hand and patch them in the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the semolina, yeast, sugar, mahlab, mastic, orange blossom
water and melted butter. Knead a few minutes then cover and leave it to
rest for at least one hour or preferably overnight.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Spread the first half in a 9 x 13" baking dish.
- Evenly spread the baking dates to cover the first dough layer.
- Spread the remaining dough on top of the dates and score with a
- Bake in a 350° F preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes. Allow it to cool completely and cut into squares.