Lentils with Pasta
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup pasta of choice
- 2 - 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 loaf pita bread, cut into squares and fried
- Cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (adjust to taste)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin, adjust to taste
Note: The traditional recipe calls for home made dough made from 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup water and a
pinch of salt. The pastry is rolled thinly and cut into 2cm circles. 75% of the cut dough is added raw into the lentils
(instead of the pasta) and the remainder is fried and used for garnish instead of the pita
- Cut the bread into small squares and fry in hot oil and set aside.
- Slice the onions and fry until it becomes dark brown and set aside.
- Pick, soak and drain the lentils.
Place lentils in a saucepan with 3 cups of water and cook until the lentils are
cooked but still firm.
- Add half the fried onions, pomegranate molasses, salt, ground cumin and the pasta to the lentils and cook until the pasta is done.
Add more water if needed.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil. Fry the garlic and half the cilantro leaves and Stir
into to the lentils. Continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes. Turn off the
heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve hot or at room temperature garnished with the remaining fried onions,
cilantro and fried pita chips.