- 3 cups split dried fava beans (*)
- 1 1/2 cups dried chick peas
- 1 large onion
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 small bunch flat leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro (Optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayene pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp baking soda
(*) If you can't find split fava beans you can use the whole fava beans and peel the skin off them after soaking.
- Soak the fava beans and chick peas overnight.
- Grind the beans, chick peas, onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro.
- Add the spices and mix.
- Add the baking soda just before shaping and frying.
- Shape the mixture into small rounded patties either by hand or by using a falafel maker.
- Fry in hot canola or your preferred vegetable oil.
Falafel mixture freezes well. Spices and baking soda should not be added until it is time to use the mixture.