- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups dried red kidney beans (soaked in water)*
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans (soaked in water)*
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped **
- 2 medium onions finely chopped (8 oz)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. canola or your preferred cooking oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt to taste
* Canned beans maybe used but you will need to reduce simmering time to around
** Can be replaced with one 15 oz can of diced or crushed tomatoes.
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil. Add the onions, season with salt and cook on medium high heat until
they are tender, add the garlic, ground beef, thyme and spices (cumin,
chilli powder, cayenne pepper and paprika).
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water and beans.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are done. Re-season with salt, cumin and cayenne pepper
- Serve with grated cheese and sour cream.