Cheese and Zaatar Rock Cakes
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground mahlab
- 1/8 tsp. ground mastic
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup water (adjust as needed)
- 2 cups green zaatar leaves *
- 2 cups white cheese, cut into small cubes
* Zaatar can be substituted with fresh Oregano or Thyme leaves.
- Mix the sifted flour, salt, baking powder, ground mahlab and mastic.
- Add the oil and mix well, then gradually add the cold water and knead.
- Add the green zaatar leaves and continue to knead.
- Add the cubed cheese and form into roughly shaped balls.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degrees F preheated oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until they are golden.