- 8 cups flour
- 1 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup green zaatar leaves (*)
- 1 tbsp. yeast or baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb white Cheese, cut into strips
(*) Zaatar leaves can be substituted with fresh or dried oregano or tyme leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sifted flour, salt, baking powder, oil and
yoghurt and mix well. Gradually add the water while kneading until you get
a smooth pliable dough. Add the Zaatar while continuing to knead.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest for
about 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out each portion into a thin disc (1/8" thick) and
cut into 8 triangles.
- Fill each triangle from the wider end with a piece of cheese and roll, shape
into a crescent and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven until they golden brown.