- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cups sugar (*)
- 1/2 cups canola oil (**)
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice or syrup
(*) Original recipe called for 2 cups sugar
(**) Original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9" cake tin.
- Toast the pecans or walnuts until slightly browned and fragrant. Let cool
and chop coarsely.
- Peel and grate the carrots, set aside.
- Sift the flour and mix with the baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of electric mixer, beat the eggs and vanilla until frothy. Add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light color. Add the
pineapple syrup and the oil in a steady stream.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the shredded carrots, chopped nuts and crushed pineapple.
- Pour the batter in to the prepared tin and bake until a toothpick inserted in
the center comes out clean.