Bread bowls for serving chilli, soups and dips in.
- 1 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup semolina
- 2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Combine all of the dough ingredients. Mix and knead them together (by hand, mixer or bread machine)
until you have a soft, smooth dough. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide the dough into four or five portions, and form them into balls. Place them on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover lightly, and set them aside to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until they've almost doubled in size.
- Uncover the balls and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes, to develop a tough skin. Just before placing the bread bowls in the oven, mist them heavily with water. Bake the bread bowls in a pre-heated 425°F oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until they're a deep, golden brown. Turn off the oven, prop the door open a little, and leave the bread bowls inside for 15 minutes; this will keep the crust crisp.
- Remove from the oven and cool them completely before cutting the tops off and removing the insides; (reserve the insides to make bread crumbs).