- 1 cup barley
- 1 tbsp.canola oil
- 2 cups water
- Fried pine nuts (optional)
- Fried almonds, blanched and split in half (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and fry the pine nuts, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Fry the almonds, remove and set aside.
- Rinse the barley and soak for about 20 - 30 minutes then drain.
- Stir in the barley into the hot oil, add the salt and stir for a few minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook covered until the barley is done.
- Serve topped with the fried almonds and/or pine nuts.
Best served with roast lamb, chicken or beef.