- 20 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup melted butter or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely ground pine nuts, almonds or pistachios
- 2 - 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. orange blossom water (adjust to taste)
Note: To get crinkled baklava rolls, place a wooden skewer next to
the filling then carefully remove it after rolling.
- Prepare the syrup: In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water and
bring to a boil, stirring often. Add the lemon juice and orange blossom water
and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Allow to cool before using. (This step can be
done the day before).
- Prepare the filling: Combine the ground nuts with the sugar and
stir until well blended.
- Bring the phyllo dough to room temperature before using and keep unused dough
covered with a damp cloth or paper towel as it tends to dry quickly.
- Each roll is made with two sheets of phyllo dough. With the short side of
the phyllo sheet towards you, brush each sheet with the melted butter and place
them on top of each other.
- Place some of the filling mixture in a single line towards the top of the phyllo
sheet (as shown in the picture). Carefully roll the dough. Cut the
rolled baklava into 4 or 6 pieces and place on a baking sheet brushed with
melted butter. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets.
- Pour the remaining butter over the baklava pieces and bake in a 350F preheated
oven until golden brown.
- Pour the cooled syrup over the baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven.