- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 stick butter (can be substituted with 3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Enough apples to line the baking dish (6-7 apples)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Line the baking dish with the peeled and quartered apples and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat the sugar and butter until creamy.
- Add the eggs vanilla, lemon zest and mix.
- Add the flour, baking powder and mix.
- Pour the batter over the apples and bake in a preheated oven 350F for approx. 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream or can be served cold.
Apples can be substituted with peaches or pears.